Friday, September 26, 2008

Conversations with a 4 year old vs. a 2 year old!!

When I was pregnant with Makenzie I remember being so scared I wouldn't know how to change a diaper or I would break her (she was tiny) or that I wouldn't know how to make her bottles etc. Little did I know the thing I should of thought about was how do I answer all of her questions. So she's been asking questions for quite a while now. But you know how there are certain questions you prey they don't ask in public. Well my sweet little Makenzie has probably asked all of them by now.

The other day we were in Walmart and Makenzie said hi to this little girl probably about her age. Then she turned to me and said Mom why is her skin black? I said "Baby because there is way too many beautiful people in this world to make them all the same color." I had to think fast cause I was horrified she asked me that in front of this other child and mother.

Then about a month ago we were at a register and Makenzie as we start to walk off she says "mommy why would that girl put a ear ring in her nose" I said "I don't know baby that would hurt." She said "that's weird" Luckily the cashier didn't hear at all.

Oh and that's not all there was a guy that was standing outside his car getting gas and Makenzie said "Mommy that's so gross." I said "what's so gross Makenzie?" She said "That man is naked didn't his mom tell him he shouldn't be seen naked?" I got down and just whispered "yeah baby he should put a shirt on but we'll let his mommy tell him that." I was laughing so hard I had to get all serious tell her and then turn around and crack up.

The hardest question I had to answer was Makenzie asking me why a little girl at the gym was being mean to her and wouldn't play with her? Makenzie is a social butterfly she LOVES making friends EVERYWHERE she goes and unfortunately MEAN GIRL SYNDROME starts much earlier then in my day. We go to a gym that I seriously don't fit in. There's women in hundred dollar suits or dresses with their designer handbags and their gucci shoes I am not knocking it believe me if I had the money I would spoil myself a bit too. But I am much more a Aeropostale Jeans and Tshirt kind of girl with my sketchers tennis shoes. Well a lot of the little girls in there are even in designer clothes. This one little girl was being so SNOBBY to Makenzie I was pretty surprised she had picked that up at such a young age. Makenzie asked me why this little girl was mean? Right in front of her. I pulled Makenzie away and I said to her "Baby all you can do is be nice to everyone and hope they are nice back. If they aren't then you just need to make a different friend. Don't be mean back just walk away and even just find your brother because he loves to play with you." It was so sad she was so upset and just didn't understand. She got a pouty face and said Mom I was just trying to play with the Barbie House with her. I just said I know Makenzie I am so proud of you for being so nice to everyone. WOW it was a hard conversation to have with a 4 year old but I know that I will be having that I guess starting now from now on. I don't think you ever stop having to deal with similar situations even sometimes as a adult.

Kayden's conversations are so much easier for now.
Mom I'm thirsty...
Mom I'm Hungry...
Mom can I have a fruit snack...
Mom can I watch Diego....


Kids really do say the darndest things! I wouldn't trade any of these little conversations cause I love having them with my babies. I am a lucky mom!!

No comments: