Thursday, June 2, 2016

Thyroid Health

Wednesday, May 18th 2016

Yesterday was rough. About two months ago I went to the ENT to follow up on something they had cut out of my face. I mentioned my neck had been bothering me and I think I needed to go to a chiropractor. The doctor examined my neck and found a lump on my thyroid. He said I'm ordering blood work and a ultrasound today. He wanted me to go straight down to get that stuff done. Well I had Kayden with me because he had his tonsil appointment to set to get them out at the same time. As we walked out of the room. I thought first I can't go do this with my son. He's seen enough and what if it's bad? I was completely irrational in my head. It's not like they would've given me results then and there. But I told myself we had to go and it would take care of itself.


So yesterday I went and did the ultrasound and it was very uncomfortable. Having them push on my throat made the fact that it already felt like there was a weight on it worse. They told me it would take 15 minutes or so once I got back. The tech left the room and brought in another tech at about 20 minutes and I laid there for 30 more while they remeasured. (That's what they told me) The tech was measuring something on the right side. I said that they lump in on my left not right and he looked at the order and said you're right but there's another one here. So then he switched to the left side and measured that for a couple minutes. I finally got done. They told me they can't tell me anything but I thought I had seen them write on the screen it was 1.2cm. So I was calm and not so worried. They told me I would hear from my doctor in about 48 hours. I left and went and did the blood they wanted me to do.

My doctor called me a hour and a half later. Okay Brandie this will be a lot of info. We found 3 significant nodules. One is .9cm the other one almost 1cm and the last one is 2.6cm. 2.6cm? Yes so that's why you're having issues swallowing and breathing. Plus it's just right in that location. So we need a plan. We would normally do a biopsy but since we're looking at 3 and the big one is already causing such issues we would be better off to do a removal of the large one. We will send it off for testing and if it's cancer we will go in and take the whole thyroid.

Thursday May 19th 2016

I had pre surgery. (It is a whirlwind everything happened so fast) I don't even ask Josh to get off work knowing how hard it is when there's a lot of notice but with only a day there's no way he can. But to my surprise he went into work and begged his boss to let him leave to take me. My mom met us up there for the girls. Everything they would be doing was explained and I left knowing more about the thyroid then I had ever. I had no idea the thyroid could affect so much. Because of the size I asked the doctor how long this has probably been there. He said most likely between 1 to 2 years. I asked so if it's not cancer does it still effect my body. He said yes it can affect every thing you feel, your body, your mind, this is probably where your headaches were coming from, it's definitely what is causing your breathing issues because it is sitting on your wind pipe. At this point I was kind of frustrated because I've been going to doctors for over a year and I keep getting told the same thing you're depressed and have a lot of stress with Josh's health and the kids. But my thyroid tests always came back normal. What I've found out is there is a lot of women who have serious thyroid problems that have gone unknown for years because of their tests. The spectrum of "normal" on those tests is wide. I'm always borderline normal which now my doctor is going to be giving me medication to make it better.

Go off of how you feel not what the tests say. I had SO many of the side effects yet they keep diagnosing me with other things. I'm so glad my ENT found the lump in my throat.

Yesterday was surgery Josh and I got to the hospital 7:30 they put me out about 9am and I woke up at 3pm. They took the left half of my thyroid there was no cancer yay but the nodule ended up being 2.8cm bigger than the ultrasound measured. There sending it off for testing to diagnose or rule out Graves Disease and Hoshimotos Disease. I should get results in a week or so. I can already tell you that laying down is SO much better I don't feel like there is a 5 pound weight laying on my chest anymore and I could breathe when sleeping last night. I'm in pain but not bad. The nausea was the worst part but I didn't ever throw up my nurse always got me medicine in time. I can't wait to go home today. I don't like being away from my kids.

Josh and my mom and dad have been amazing yesterday and today taking care of everything. But I can't wait to get back to normal hopefully. Figuring out the medicine will take a bit but I can't wait to feel good.


No comments: